A history of Scotland's only preserved WWII Prisoner of War Camp Cultybraggan
Cultybraggan Camp, built in 1941 by the Jewish Pioneer Core, housed 4,000 Prisoners of War between 1944 and 1947. Known as the 'Black Camp of the North', it had a notoriously hard reputation housing dozens of SS officers, members of the Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe & Marine Corps. Subsequently, the camp was taken over in 1948 by the Ministry of Defence where it was touched by every major post-war conflagration including Vietnam and the troubles in Northern Ireland during this period. In 2007, Cultybraggan was sold to the Comrie Development Trust on behalf of the local community. It is Scotland's only preserved Second World War PoW Camp containing nearly 100 buildings such as Hut 1, formerly the guard house but now a small exhibition centre.
The Comrie Heritage Group, who work hard to preserve the history of the Camp, conduct fantastic guided tours including the famous guard block where some of the most notorious prisoners were kept.
Dates for tours are set as the first Sunday of every month from August 2nd, September 6th (26th & 27th) and October 4th beginning at 11am with the last tour leaving at 3pm. A guided tour of the Camp will also be conducted on Sunday 11th October at 2pm with Crieff & Strathearn – Drovers’ Tryst.
Costs of tours are as follows: Adults (£4); Concessions (£3) and children under 16 are free. Anybody with a British Forces Discount Card will be entitled to a further £1 reduction on the ticket price.
For any enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get in Touch